Emrys and Beatriz, Baron and Baroness of Ildhafn, send warm greetings to all their Barony!
We must sadly announce our intention to step down as your Baron and Baroness at the upcoming Royal Visit on the 30th of April. While we have very much enjoyed this role, and would like to have been able to continue for some years further, growing work commitments mean that we simply do not have the time and energy to give to what we would like - and what we believe you deserve - to the Barony.
We have informed Their Majesties, Gabriel and Constanzia, of our intention, and They have given Their consent. They will be managing the process of selecting our successors, with the assistance of Anna, the Ildhafn Seneschal.
Our thanks to all of you for your assistance and support over our years as Baron and Baroness, and through this period of change.
Emrys and Beatriz
The nomination and selection process, as decreed by Their Majesties, shall be as follows:
- Nominations for the position of Baron and Baroness of Ildhafn are now open and to be made via email to the Crown email@example.com and to the Seneschal of Ildhafn firstname.lastname@example.org by the 26th of February 2011.
- Each nomination will include a letter outlining the experience of the candidates in the SCA and whatever other skills they have to lend to the role, and their intent for the group and region.
- These letters will then be forwarded on to the local mailing lists by the Seneschal of Ildhafn on the 27th of February 2011.
Discussion between Candidates and Populace
There will be a week between the announcement of the Candidates and the beginning of polling, which the candidates will use to discuss their ideas and intentions for the Barony with the populace. This will be done using the group mailing lists and websites. A forum has been set up to manage this process in consideration of geography of the Barony of Ildhafn.
http://ildhafn.lochac.sca.org/forum The forum will be managed by Don Master William de Cameron.
Consultation Process (The Poll)
According to Corpora and the Lochac Laws, the Crown has the responsibility of choosing successors based on the written advice of members of the Barony, and the decision must not be substantively opposed by the populace. We have opted to poll the populace to ensure that these criteria are met when making Our decision.
- Poll will open on the 5th of March 2011 and shall conclude on the19th day of March 2011. This poll will be done electronically - please send your comments directly to email@example.com
- We are seeking the opinion of those who directly participate with the Barony of Ildhafn.
- We will consider the opinions of gentles located in other groups, however greater weight will be placed on the opinions of those who live within the boundaries of the Barony, and who are paid members of the SCA.
- Your recommendation to Us is to be in the following format:
i. Candidates who are your first preference, with reasons for this
ii. Candidates who are your second preference, with reasons.
Your Recommendation to us will include:
A) Personal information about yourself such as: membership number, Barony/Canton you reside in, participation level (depth of experience/group/SCA)
B) Your personal contact details so that if your recommendation is not clear to Us, We can choose to contact you to clarify.
C) Strengths and weaknesses of all candidates in order of preference. This needs to be very clearly articulated so that We understands your wishes.
a. We ask if you can please advise us, regardless of your preference, whether you would support each set of candidates as the Baron and Baroness of Ildhafn.
b. If you feel you cannot support any of the candidates, or you strongly feel that the Barony needs more time to make this decision and will be better placed to do so later in the year, please indicate that you would prefer that the Crown institute a vicar at this time and for the
next six months.
- Your recommendation to Us will remain confidential. Please feel free to be open and honest, but do note that this is not an opportunity for personal attack or malice. We ask that where possible an impartial and unbiased observation be made with a view of the best benefits for the Barony and greater region for Our consideration.
- Please be aware that if insufficient information is received, We may choose to opt for alternative candidates than the nominees. It is vital that as many of you participate in this consultation process as possible.
We will be requesting a current membership list from the SCANZ Registrar for your Barony to ensure that we have sufficient majority of members participating.
The Decision Process
We will be dedicating ourselves to reading and considering all of your input. We understand that this is a very stressful time for the candidates in particular so we will be making the decision swiftly based on your advice. We hope to have a decision finalised on the 23rd of March 2011, if not earlier.
Communication regarding the outcome of Our decision to the candidates and to the Barony of Ildhafn.
- Successful and unsuccessful candidates will be advised by a phone call from Us after We have finalised Our decision.
- The Seneschal of Ildhafn will then send an electronic announcement to the local lists advising you of this decision.
The decision of appointing the next Baron and Baroness of Ildhafn is a weighty and important one to the Kingdom of Lochac, and due consideration will be taken. It is very important that you take the opportunity of participating within stipulated timelines for your voice to be heard by Us.
This is a very exciting time for Ildhafn and we wish you all good luck for this. We look forward to the reading your recommendations.
Gabriel and Constanzia