You are here

Ildhafn September 2018 council meeting DRAFT minutes

Submitted by William de Cameron on September 1, 2018 - 1:10pm
Printer-friendly version

Ildhafn September 2018 Committee meeting DRAFT Minutes

 

Meeting date: 01 September 2018

Meeting opens 1:10pm

Attendees: Nicola, Agate, Phil, David, Nadia, Wendy, Ian, Alex, Elize (late)

Apologies:Christine (Herald)

 

Matters arising

Minutes of the previous meeting - clarification from Nicola re use of website reporting forms; only required when not having an in-person meeting that month or sending in quarterly report. 

We need to set up a process to ratify minutes from previous meetings.

 

Officer Briefs /Reports

Discussion about the value of putting all reports on the website; while advantageous for keeping a permanent record of officer reports, it duplicates where reports need to be entered, or requires the up-line officer to go to the website and extract the information.

Nicola proposes putting asking all officers to send quarterly reports to her, and the Seneschal's report is the published on the website. Monthly reports to go on the website if there isn't an in-person meeting, if there _is_ an in-person meeting then the officer reports are included in the minutes. <General agreement>

 

(Officer reports; please see the soon-to-be-published Seneschal's report for most details - only items requiring committee action are noted below)

 

Chatelaine

Eleanor to finalise appointment with Kingdom.

 

Captain of Archers

Need money for targets. Ian has feedback from DA; Luan has a design for targets that are light and cheap. Phil raised that the Barony also needs to make new target A-frames; the current ones are too tall. Wendy brought up that we need to take away the broken bits of target from Vanessa's paddocks. Ian to get in touch with Luan to get details, will copy Phil.

 

Quartermaster

Michaela's garage is no longer available; Ian and Wendy will keep storing the stuff for now until we find a new location. The committee would like to thank Michaela for storing the Baronial stuff for so long.

 

Previous events

Stuff Day - Spoon Workshop

Spoons were made!

Wendy - pretty awesome, we had a crowd full of people.

Eleanor - Having themes for our Stuff Days works well.

 

Baronial anniversary

25 full members attended

16 event members

1 youth

2 children

1 child under 5

Draft of the event report - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yFbnLsajiDrDYqGULQXLo_Flu3sDdxy-ilQE0lPsIvo/edit?usp=sharing

Despite earlier predictions that the event would make a loss it made a profit - currently the event has made a profit of $143.16 however the stewards have requested that some additional costs that weren’t in the initial budget be paid to those who bore them.

The following items were not included in the initial proposal but are requested:

$20 refund to Agate, this was not included in the initial proposal because the stewards were totally unaware that it was a thing- it is, as per the May 2009 council minutes (for discussion at end of agenda)  the Steward and Deputy steward request that although this was not in the proposal that the cook be given a comp ticket and be refunded her ticket - not only was the event a great success but when we booked a site with no kitchen we expected a lot smaller turn out and so the site itself was a significant strain on the cook.

$68.67 refund to Elyna for the purchase of the prize and pearl tokens for the event - these were not in our initial proposal and Elyna intended to simply absorb the cost - Eleanor as deputy steward request that we consider reimbursing her for this cost so she is not out of pocket (and is likely to consider stewarding again ;).

Committee approved these expenses, with thanks to Agate, Phil and all other helpers. Commitee also approved the reimbursement of laundry expenses (to Ian) without receipts (was done using a coin-fed laundry).

 

Upcoming events

September - Shoe making workshop

Workshop will start at 9:30am sharp. Please show up pre-caffienated, fed, etc.

 

NAAMA

Quite a few people from around the Barony are going to NAAMA, so there won't be a Labour Weekend event in Rotorua this year. Eleanor to talk to Ed about possibly taking some of the sunshades along.
Platter hire to go ahead as per proposal on Committee list. Eleanor to find previously used hire form (used by Shannon for TnT event).

 

Stuff Days

October - Calligraphy & Illumination (Agate)

November - Archery related (Phil); Arrow making (tentative), bracers, bow bags etc.

December - No Stuff Day.

January - No Stuff Day.

 

If anyone has things they would like to see happen at Stuff Day, please contact the Baron & Baroness.

 

Summer event

Booked and paid deposit – it would be great if we can discuss the bid and get it finalised at this meeting.  – please refer to the bid at https://ildhafn.lochac.sca.org/node/1617

Bid all approved; bookings to open this week.

 

Canterbury Faire

Campsite organiser and infrastructure needs discussion

Rudiger and Aleynora are not going so if we want the infrastructure they normally take down we need to organise to get it there. Should we advertise for a camp coordinator ASAP to coordinate how is camping where and what needs to be transported and how it will get there?

David to get the discussion happening on the mailing list.

 

History nights

Defer until next year. These need to be assigned to just one person. Discuss again after CF.

 

Collegium

Defer until next year, discuss after CF. 

 

Other Business

  • Kingdom Levy and Event memberships- it appears that these may not have been paid by Ildhafn since 2015 - Eleanor and Elize have been working on this over the past week are currently in the process of checking this and are in discussion with the Kingdom Exchequer, her NZ Deputy and the SCANZ Treasurer.  Once we have confirmed this it needs to be followed up and settled soon. The money has always been budgetted and collected, but hasn't been paid through to SCANZ. Eleanor and Elize to action.

  • Shipping container- Eleanor has followed up with SCANZ Treasurer again for the SCANZ account number, once this is provided we will settle the invoice of  $1223.13

  • New officers required - Chatelaine– Update - commentary closed on Wednesday 29th August. Eleanor following up with Kingdom.

  • Big silk banner needs replacement – has been repaired, needs replacing at some point soon. To be discussed online/next meeting.

  • Banner making workshop for a Stuff Day in the first quarter of next year. We could make Ildhafn banners to send to other baronies where major events are held, given they sometimes ask for one, e.g. Southron Gaard for Canterbury Faire and Rowany for Rowany Festival. Or we could send an existing one.– need to discuss whether it’s a practical idea to split the current matched set up (it appears that opinions may be amicably split on this based on discussions at the August non-meeting). Need to discuss the repair of one of the damaged cluain banners from the set. To be discussed online/next meeting.

  • Discussion: We may require more stands for the blue reflective road signs that the barony uses. Patrick has one of the signs for fencing. We will need to look into where to get more and the costs thereof. Ian to look into the costs for two more stands.

  • Group Guidelines update. To be done online.

  • Meeting procedures (motions and seconds, confirming previous minutes, etc). Quorum to include B&B perhaps? And deputies.

  • Methods of officer reporting to be further discussed.

  • Notice on non attendance of Committee Meetings by persons who are considered towards Quorum to be discussed. Eleanor would like to propose that all persons considered towards quorum send through their apologies more than 24 hours they can do so by email, within 24 hours please do so by text or Instant message to the seneschal, if it is within 2 hours of the meeting please place a call to the Seneschal - Eleanor’s number will be provided to all persons who count towards quorum for this purpose.

 

 

Quartermaster Gear

  1. The gas burner is missing at least 1 leg and David was saying it belongs to a member so we should see if they want it back. David to take them back.

  2. There are a bunch of old Tupperware containers that look a bit manky, do we still want them. Throw them out/give them away (Ian and Wendy to handle)

  3. there are a bunch of random things in the children's toy box - do we still want them. No, free to a good home/give to the Sallies.

  4. there are 4 poles, they might be gazebo poles. are they ours, if they are where is the thing they belong to or do we still want them. Yes, we will use them to make sleeves for the banner poles.

  5. there is a large bunch of random cutlery, mainly knives. do we want them. Use to refresh gold key gear, dispose of remainder.

 

Platters

  • We will keep 150 of the smaller metal platters

  • We are keeping all (40ish) of the larger metal platters

  • We have gifted some platters to Guildenwick, and possibly some to Cluain (Ed taking it to Cluain council)

  • We will look at offering any remaining platters for sale to the populace at $2 each. Eleanor to advertise.

 

Discuss and confirm the above.

 

Goal Planning

From Seneschal:

Hi everyone,

Now that things are starting to settle and many of us are finally feeling like we have our feet under us in our roles I’d like us to consider planning goals – mainly so we have a little more direction and our goals as officers align with the goals of the overall group.

If possible I would like all of you to take a moment or two to think about something that relates to your role that you would like to achieve in, or before, the first quarter of 2019 – it could be something simple as ‘I want to see X class run’ or ‘I want to get Y piece of administration tidied up’ scale your goal to the level of time / administration / effort you are willing and able to put in – if you choose a goal that is easily achieved and manage to get it done quickly and want to create and work on a new goal then that’s great! If you choose an ambitious goal that you want to tackle, then we can break it down into smaller deliverables so even if the big goal suddenly becomes  too much and needs to be abandoned because of real lifeTM all is not lost.

An excellent example is Master William’s heavy adventure – next Wednesday there is a ‘give heavy a go’ session happening- the aim isn’t for him to run heavy – but to get a group of people who are interested together to see if they  want to get heavy up and running again – he has just facilitated the time and place and give people a chance.

Please think about what goal you would like to take a shot at and we will briefly discuss these in committee tomorrow – I would like to keep each discussion very brief – say two to three minutes per officer (keep’em small guys) – that way we can then  have a quick discussion on how we can support and help each other to achieve our goals and what we can do to make these goals outcomes!

Sorry I didn’t give you more notice, I only just thought of this and have decided to run with it!

Any questions please fire them through to me!

If there is anyone else who is not an officer who would like to set a goal – please do! You’re welcome at the Committee Meeting or you can fire it through by email!

 

FOR REFERENCE

From the May 2009 minutes

 

“Discounts for stewards and cooks

Much discussion - Council's decision:

Stewards and cooks may choose not to pay for event - please include any discounts in proposal and budget. As a general principal, up to a total of 2 free tickets per event are expected in a proposal (e.g. cook and steward are free; co-stewards receive 50% discount, or other similar scheme). These may also be used to provide a discount to someone who comes to an event primarily to work/serve (for example someone who comes along only as a kitchen-hand), but this should be detailed in the event proposal.”

 

Meeting closed 2:15pm